My sister-in-law, Robin (who is an excellent cook so I trust everything she recommends) saw a recipe on the Rachael Ray show for a guacamole spread to put on burgers. She recommended that I thicken it up a bit and use it as a dip for chips and/or to spread on tacos.
She was right – it was perfect for both uses. We tried it last night and oh my gawwwd. Seriously good. I want to share despite that fact that I don’t have a photo of it. Just a stock photo of an avocado.
Here is the recipe, adapted from Food Network’s Rachel Ray “Stretch a Buck Turkey and Bean Burrito Burgers”.
• 3 ripe avocados
• 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
• 1 lime, zested and juiced
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (leave the seeds if you like some heat)
• 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 2%, again on Robin's recommendation)
• 1 tsp Kosher salt
• Pepper to taste
Scoop the avocado into a bowl. Add the lime juice and zest. Mash up so it’s very chunky. Add all other ingredients except salt and pepper.
Combine with a big, flat spoon so you don’t make the consistency too thin. After all ingredients are combined, add the salt and pepper and fold in. Add more salt / pepper for taste as needed.
Serve with tortilla chips or as a spread for tacos.